Winter is the season of fresh and juicy oranges. I invite you to add sunshine and vitamin C to your breakfast table through a delicious homemade treat.
This zesty Orange Marmalade is a great addition to your coffee and rusks.
The recipe takes time to make, but it is easy and tasty. Grab your oranges, your cooking pot and follow the steps.
- Wash and peel the oranges. Keep the orange peels for later. Cut the oranges into slices and remove all pips.
- Cut half the lemon into slices.
- Put all the slices together in a big pot and add sugar. Leave it for 4 hours.
- Remove the white layer of the orange peels. Cut the zests into 2mm-thick slices.
- Cover the sliced zests with water and boil for 15 minutes. Strain through a colander, cover again with water and boil for 15 minutes then strain again.
- Put the sliced oranges on fire for 30 minutes.
- Add the boiled zests to the marmalade.
- Grind the mix well then squeeze the other half lemon and add the vanilla powder. Leave it on fire for another 35 minutes. Remove the foam continuously.
- While still hot, put the marmalade in jars. Let the jars cool to room temperature, upside down. The heat of the marmalade will sterilize the air in the jar and allow the marmalade to keep for months.