An easy recipe of the famous and classic chocolate cake created in Vienna.
This cake is rich with chocolate and has a thin layer of apricot jam in the middle.
I user a round tin of 18cm of diameter.
It is preferable to keep the cake in the fridge at least 2 hours before serving.
- Cream the butter with sugar until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Add the egg yolks, one egg yolk at a time, and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Add the chocolate batter to the egg whites in 3 batches, alternating with sifted flour.
- Bake for 45 minutes in a preheated oven at 160°C, in a round tin lined with baking paper.
- Let cool down on a wired rack.
- When completely cold, cut the cake horizontally to obtain two equal halves.
- Prepare the filling by melting the apricot jam with 1 tbsp of water.
- Spread the filling over one half of the cake then put the second half on top of it.
- Prepare the topping ; melt the butter and the chocolate together.
- Cover the top and edges of the cake with the topping.
- Keep the cake in the fridge of at least 2 hours before serving.