Months ago, the number cake invaded the social networks and pastry websites. I kept watching the fever while waiting for the best occasion to prepare this mouth watering dessert.
Few days ago, my husband and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary. So I decided to make this beautiful yet delicious number cake to celebrate our 2 years of shared life, love and happiness.
I chose a shortcrust pastry or pâte sablée chocolate flavored for the crust. Then I opted for a vanilla flavored crème diplomate that I decorated with some strawberries, blueberries, chocolate, small meringues,… To obtain a perfectly shaped “2”, I printed it on A4 paper. The result is two identical numbers with less stress and struggle. I encourage you to read the recipe for more details.
- The Pâte Sablée
- 20 min.
- The Crème Diplomate
- First of all, start with preparing the tart crust. Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Cut the butter into cubes and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour.
- Add the egg. If necessary, add some cold water to gather the dough.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for 10 minutes at least.
- Spread the dough between two parchment papers then cut the number or letter you want.
- Bake the tarte crust in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes.
- Once the crust is ready, let it cool for at least 30 minutes, and in the meanwhile, prepare your cream.
- Start the cream by bringing the milk to boil.
- Mix the egg yolks with sugar until the mixture whitens.
- Add the cornstarch to the mixture then the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add half of the milk to the mixture and whisk.
- Add the rest of the milk then put the cream on fire without stopping mixing.
- When the cream is ready, put it in a large boil and whisk. Then let it cool for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Dilute the gelatin in 3 table spoons of water, then add it to the cream.
- In the meanwhile, whisk the whipping cream until stiff and add it to the previously prepared cream.
- Let the final cream rest for some minutes before decorating your number cake with a piping bag.
- Decorate your number.