When I used to live in Saudi Arabia, one of my husband’s favorite middle eastern dessert is Um Ali. Now that we moved to another country, the taste is missed so I wanted to try it at home.
Um Ali is an Egyptian dessert. It is a kind of bread pudding. I tried for you this easy version of this dessert.
- Soak the raisins in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Cut the croissants into medium pieces (using hands) and put it in your oven pan.
- In a large pan, mix the milk with vanilla extract, geranium water and sugar then bring to a boil.
- Whip the double cream.
- Add 1 table spoon of the whipped cream to the hot milk, then pour on the croissants.
- When the croissants absorb the liquid, put ⅔ of the quantity of the raisins, almonds and walnuts then spread the whipped cream on top.
- Spread the icing sugar on top and bake in a preheated oven during 10 to 15 minutes at 190°C. The top of the pudding should turn brown.
- When Um Ali is ready, decorate with the rest of the raisins and nuts.
- Um Ali is preferably presented warm.