- 30 min.
- Mix the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder and salt altogether.
- Mix the milk and lemon juice in another recipient.
- Mix the butter with sugar and lemon zest.
- Add the eggs, one by one, to the butter mixture then add the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk mixture.
- Divide the cake mixture in two similar round tins equally and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes. Preferably use a 20cm round tin.
The filling: Lemon Curd
- Put the lemon zest, the lemon juice and sugar in a small pan and bring to a boil.
- Whisk the eggs then add them to the mixture. Keep stirring on fire for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from fire and add the butter. Mix the cream until the butter is totally melted.
- Put the curd in a glass bowl and cover with a cellophane. Make sure the cellophane is in contact with the curd to avoid having a solid cream layer on top when it cools.
- Put the curd in the fridge for later use.
- Whip the cream cheese until creamy then add butter and beat until soft and homogeneous.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whip until smooth then keep in the fridge for later use.
- Once the two parts of the cake has cooled down, start the assembling.
- Put the first layer of the cake on the plate.
- Make a ring with the frosting then fill the middle with the lemon curd. That way, the curd will not run between the layers. Note that I kept some of the lemon curd for decoration.
- Put the second layer and cover the whole cake with the frosting.
- Decorate the way you like.