Easy and delicious kunafa with custard filling.
The quantities mentioned in this recipe are ideal for a 18cm round tin.
I used geranium water. You can replace it with orange blossom water or rose water.
- First, prepare the syrup by combining sugar, water and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- When syrup comes to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- When ready, remove from heat and add the geranium water.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the custard filling : in a saucepan, combine milk with cornstarch. Mix well until cornstarch completely dissolve in cold milk.
- Add sugar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, while you whisk continuously.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce heat and add geranium water.
- Continue to boil for 2 minutes while you keep whisking.
- Set the custard to cool down as you make the kunafa.
- Cut or shred the kunafa paste into 2cm-long pieces.
- Add the melted butter and sugar to the kunafa and mix well until kunafa is well coated with butter.
- Transfer half of the kunafa to a buttered tin. I used an 18cm round tin.
- Press the kunafa using a cup.
- Try tp make a 1cm high edge to contain the custard.
- Put the custard flling in the middle and spread to have an even surface.
- Add the rest of the kunafa and press using a cup.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 200°C
- When kunafa turns golden brown, it is ready.
- Pour the syrup over the kunafa directly after remonving it from the oven.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes then flip it on the serving plate.
- Decorate with some pistachio and serve warm.