One of the most well-known traditional Tunisian recipes are the briks. There are many varieties of the briks depending on the pastry or the stuffing, and today I suggest “Brik Danouni”. These beef-stuffed turnovers are usually presented as starters or appetizers.
- 2 cups of fine semolina
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 3 table spoons of melted butter
- ½ tea spoon of salt
- Warm water
- 300g of ground beef
- 1 boiled egg
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Chopped onion
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Mix well the semolina, the flour and salt with the melted butter.
- Add warm water progressively and knead.
- When the dough becomes satin smooth let it rest for 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, cook the ground beef with the chopped onions with a table spoon of vegetable oil then add the rest of the stuffing ingredients and keep.
- Roll out the dough and form circles.
- Garnish the circles with the stuffing and fold the edges.
- Deep fry the briks. You can also bake them in the oven after brushing the turnovers with some oil or an egg yolk.