It’s spring! It’s the season of strawberries and colors!
Some of you are trying to get in shape to fit in their bikinis and swimsuits for summer… Some others, like I do, are enjoying the fruit shelves at the supermarket, wondering about the recipes and desserts they may bake to celebrate the nice weather, the sun and the spring!
It is the first time ever that I use buttermilk in cakes. As a Tunisian, buttermilk, commonly known as “Lben”; rimes with couscous. But today, I am using it for other purposes. This dessert is perfect… I love it… You will love it too…
- 30 min.
- Preheat the oven at 190°C.
- Mix the dry ingredients together: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut the butter, still cold, into cubes and try to incorporate it with the flour mixture using your finger tips.
- When the butter/flour mixture gets a sandy texture, add buttermilk and mix well.
- Put your cake in a buttered mold then bake at 190°C for about 25 minutes. Check the baking of your shortcake with a knife.
- When ready, let your cake cool down at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Cut the cake in two to stuff it later with whipped cream and strawberries.
- Clean the strawberries and cut then into slices.
- Mix the strawberry slices with sugar and orange blossom water.
- Whip the heavy cream then add sugar. If you want it very sweet, double the quantity of sugar. Keep in the fridge until the shortcake is ready and cold.