The sorghum cake is a recipe that Tunisians love to bake during the holy month in order to enjoy it as a dessert or to eat it at suhoor meal.
The recipe is super easy and very nutritious…
- 2 cups of sorghum powder
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla powder
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- ¾ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp of orange flower extract
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds
- ½ cup of mixed nuts
- ½ cup of raisins
- Bring a large bowl and put all the dry ingredients together : sorghum powder, flour, sugar, vanilla powder, baking powder, sesame seeds, mixed nuts and raisins (You can save some nuts to decorate the cake before baking).
- Beat the eggs with the oil, milk and orange flower extract, then add it to the mixed dry ingredients.
- Bring a round or square oven recipient and spread some oil or butter on the bottom and edges.
- Pour the mixture in the recipient (If you have extra nuts saved, decorate your cake before baking).
- Bake the sorghum cake in a preheated oven at 160°C during 40 minutes or more. You can verify whether it is ready or not with a knife.