I brought to you a very popular Tunisian dish: shakshuka.
The word means “mixture” in the Tunisian dialect. In fact, this dish is a mixture of onions, garlic, pepper, tomatoes and eggs presented as a stew and accompanied with bread. Of course, harissa is an essential seasoning.
Shakshuka is healthy and delicious, yet, it is very easy to make.
There are many varieties of shakshuka. In this recipe, I made shakshuka with meat balls, seasoned like merguez (Tunisian spicy sausage).
- Season the ground beef with fennel seeds, harissa, ground coriander, ground caraway, ground chilly pepper, salt and pepper. Form medium size balls.
- Bring a large pan, put the olive oil, the onion and the chopped garlic.
- Add the meat balls and the tomato concentrate.
- Add 1 glass of water and season the sauce with harissa, ground coriander, ground chilly pepper, salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes on medium fire.
- In the meanwhile, cut the bell pepper and the fresh tomatoes.
- Add the vegetables to the sauce and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Add water if needed.
- Add the eggs.
- When the eggs are cooked, decorate with chopped parsley and onions.