A traditional Finnish recipe, of cardamom flavoured bread.
Pulla is a kind of dessert, not very sweet, flavoured with cardamom and decorated with flaked almonds. It is usually served with tea or coffee. It can be baked as a large braided loaf or individual small brioches.
- Melt the butter in a pan then add milk. Warm the mixture. Do not boil.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl then add the warm milk and butter mixture.
- Add sugar, cardamom, and salt.
- Add the yeast.
- Gradually mix in the flour.
- Knead the dough for 10 to 15 minutes until it becomes elastic and smooth.
- Put the dough in a lightly buttered bowl.
- Cover with a cling film and leave to prove for 2 hours.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes then shape as desired (a large braided loaf or as small brioches).
- Place on a parchment paper, or in the tin.
- Leave to prove for 30 minutes.
- Brush the bread with lightely whisked egg and sprinkle some flaked almonds.
- Bake 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 190°C.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve sliced, with a good coffee.
- Calories: 125
- Carbohydrates: 23.2g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Fat: 1.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Sodium: 115mg
- Sugar: 3.9g