Do you enjoy marrying orange and chocolate?
Well this dessert is perfectly made for people who enjoy the zesty taste of oranges and chocolate.
I also tried for you candied orange peels that you may like to eat them alone or with chocolate or you may use them to decorate your desserts.
- Juice of 2 big oranges
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 35g of granulated sugar
- 12g of cornstarch
- 90g of cold unsalted butter
- Put the orange juice and the zest in a cooking pan and bring to boil.
- In the meanwhile, mix the egg, the egg yolk and sugar till the mixture's whitens, then add cornstarch.
- Pour the boiled juice slowly on the egg mixture and stir.
- Bring the mixture on medium fire till it turns creamy.
- When the cream is ready, remove from fire add the butter cut into cubes and mix well until butter completely melts.
- Pour the curd in a glass bowl and cover with cellophane. Make sure the cellophane is in contact with the cream to avoid having a solid cream layer on top when it cools.
- Let the curd cool in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Candied Orange Peels
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of water
- Wash and peel the oranges.
- Remove the white layer of the orange peels then cut into 2mm-thick slices.
- Cover the sliced peels with water and bring to boil for 15 minutes. Strain through a colander, then repeat the operation again twice. This will reduce the bitterness of the orange peels. At the end, the orange peels will turn translucent.
- Bring the water and sugar to boil, then add the orange peels.
- Let it boil for half a minute and remove from fire.
- Spread the candied orange peels on a parchment paper and let dry overnight. You can also cover it with granulated sugar.
- 200g of shortcrust pastry
- 100g of melted chocolate
- Orange curd
- Candied orange peels
- First step is to bake the shortcrust pastry in the over at 180°C for at least 20 minutes. When it is ready, let it cool for half an hour before use.
- In the meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a water bath.
- Garnish the pie or mini pies with the orange curd.
- Pour chocolate on top then decorate with candied orange peels.
- Let your dessert cool in fridge before serving.