The Lemon Meringue Pie or the “Tarte au Citron Meringuée” is one of my favorite desserts. That's why I decided to share it as my very first recipe on Treats Homemade.
This classic French recipe is a pie garnished with a lemon curd and topped with airy meringue.
Through the years, I tried several recipes and this is my favorite. I happily share with you my tips for this classic.
Shortcrust Pastry / Pâte Sablée
- 200g of all purpose flour
- 100g of soft butter
- 1 egg
- 1 table spoon of sugar (optional)
- pinch of salt
- cold water
- Cut the butter into cubes and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour and salt (so the butter doesn't get too hot).
- Add the egg to the mixture.
- Add cold water in small quantities to bind the dough together.
- Try to work it quickly so that it doesn't become greasy.
- Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes before using.
- Roll out the dough and cook for 20 minutes at 180°C.
- Juice of 1 big lemon
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 90g of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g of butter
- Put the lemon zest, the lemon juice and sugar in a small pan and bring to boil.
- Beat the eggs then add them to the mixture. Keep stirring on fire for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from fire and add butter. Mix the cream until the butter is totally melted.
- Put the curd in a glass bowl and cover with a cellophane. Make sure the cellophane is in contact with the curd to avoid having a solid cream layer on top when it cools.
- Put the curd in the fridge.
- 2 egg whites
- 125g granulated sugar
- 50ml of water
- PS : I like this pie with a thin meringue topping. You can double the quantity if you prefer it with a thick meringue topping.
- Put the sugar and water on fire until it reaches 118°C. For those who don't have a thermometer, note that the syrup should form white large bubbles. A drop of the syrup in a glass of cold water will form kind of a soft ball.
- In the meantime, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Keep beating and add the syrup to the egg whites until soft peaks form. Watch out for splashing!
- Decorate your pie with the meringue using a pastry bag or use the back of the spoon to make it curvy.
- Caramelize the top of your meringue with a culinary torch. If you don't have a torch, put it in the oven for about 2 minutes. Watch it closely to avoid burning it!