Cupcakes composed of lemon cake decorated with a cream cheese frosting, flavored with bluberry sauce.
To make the blueberry sauce, you will need 100g of blueberries and 50g of sugar. Bring the 2 ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Then, reduce the heat and keep stirring until the mixture becomes thick enough to cover the back of a wooden spoon. You have to allow to cool completely before adding it to the cream cheese frosting. You can replace the blueberry sauce with blueberry jam.
- Cream the softened butter with the sugar until smooth and creamy. Preferably whisk with a mixer.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the lemon peels (zest) and lemon juice, and mix until well combined.
- Add milk.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Add the poppy seeds and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter in the cupcake tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175°C for 20 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely for 10 minutes before removing the tin.
- In a large bowl, mix the cold cream cheese with vanilla extract then whip for 2 minutes.
- When it’s smooth and soft, add icing sugar and combine with a flat spoon.
- Add the soft butter and whip for 2 minutes.
- Add the blueberry sauce or jam and mix until well combined
- Place the frosting in an icing bag.
- When the baked cupcakes are completely cold, decorate with the frosting and
- If it will take you a while between preparing the frosting and assembling the cake, you can keep the frosting in the fridge, in an air-tight container. You will have to bring it to room temperature for 20 minutes before you start using it.
- Decorate with fresh blueberries