These biscuits are very crunchy. I like them dipped in a fresh lemonade or warm latte. The word biscotti in Italian means “twice-cooked”, and it’s the secret of their crispy texture.
- Brown the almonds in the oven, then let cool for some minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, salt, lemon or orange zest, baking powder and eggs until well combined.
- Add the flour gradually and combine.
- Knead the dough until well blended.
- Add the almonds to the dough.
- cut the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Shape the dough into logs. I coated my hands with some oil to easily shape the dough.
- Place the logs onto a parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 175°C.
- Cut the logs into 1.5cm wide slices.
- Put the slices horizontally on a baking sheep and bake again for 10 to 20 minutes at 160°C.