When it’s strawberry season, fraisier cake is always a good idea. This fraisier is inspired from the French chef Jeffrey Cagnes.
The ingredients described below, are for a round fraisier of 18cm diameter.
For the descoration, I wanted to be as close as possible to the fraisier of Jeffrey Cagnes. Unfortunately, I don’t have a spray, so I colored my decoration ganache.
Otherwise, you can also be creative in the way you decorate your fraisier.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form then add sugar gradually while beating.
- Add the egg yolks and the vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour and mix gently using a spatula so that the mixture remains airy.
- Cover a large tin with baking paper and pour in the batter.
- The cake shoud be around 1 to 1.5 cm thick.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 8 to 9 minutes.
- When ready, let the sponge cake cool for some minutes then unmold.
- Rehydrate the gelatin powder (or 1.5 gelatin leaves).
- Bring 275g double cream to a boil.
- Remove the cream from heat and add the gelatin and the vanilla extract.
- Add the boiled cream to the chopped white chocolate.
- Mix gently until the chocolate is completely melted.
- When the chocolate is completely melted, use a hand blender.
- Add the cold double cream, and mix again with the hand blender.
- Put the ganache in a large boil, cover with a cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Put the sugar and water in a pan and heat over medium heat.
- When the sugar completely melts, remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla extract and let completely cool.
- Whip the ganache until firm, but not too much.
- Put the whipped ganache in a piping bag.
- Cut the fresh strawberries in halves.
- Bring a circular cake ring and cover the inner walls with rhodoid ribbon.
- Cut two circles of the sponge cake, 18cm and 16cm diameter
- Place the 18cm sponge cake in the bottom and soak with the syrup.
- Place the strawberry halves stalk side down pressed up against the cake ring walls.
- Pipe the whipped ganache in between the strawberries and make a layer on the sponge cake.
- Place diced straberries in the middle of the cake.
- Put another layer of whipped ganache.
- Place the second circle of sponge cake and soak with syrup.
- Top with the remaining whipped ganache and smooth with a palette knife.
- Decorate with some whipped ganache and strawberries.
- Remove the cake ring and peel off the rhodoid ribbon before presenting.
- Calories: 407
- Carbohydrates: 35.3g
- Cholesterol: 201mg
- Fat: 27.2g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Sodium: 53mg
- Sugar: 23g