Moist and tasty carrot cake with orange flavored frosting!
Anecdotally, it is believed that during the middle ages, sugar and sweeteners were expensive and hard to find. Carrots were used as substitutes for sugar. And that’s how this cake was invented! I know that most of you find the idea weird but I invite you to try with me this super easy, yummy and kinda healthy recipe. I already smell the sweet flavor of cinnamon and carrot combined…
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, brown sugar, grated carrots, walnuts and dried raisins.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs with vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
- Add the eggs mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Cover the cake tin with parchment paper and pour in the cake batter.
- Bake your cake at 180°C for 35 to 45 minutes as follows : after 20 minutes of baking and when you notice that the top of your cake turns brown, cover the top with parchment paper so that it doesn’t burn and keeps its beautiful gold color.
- Check the baking of your cake by inserting a knife into the center. Your cake is ready if the knife comes out dry.
- Let your cake cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare your frosting.
- Cream the butter with icing sugar then add cream cheese.
- Add the orange peel and the orange juice and mix well.
- Decorate your cake with the frosting and some walnuts.
- You can also cut your cake horizontally in two, and make a layer of the frosting in the middle.
- Calories: 396
- Carbohydrates: 62.1g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Fat: 14.4g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Serving size: 1 slice without the frosting
- Sodium: 425mg
- Sugar: 32.8g