One of the most well-known traditional Tunisian recipes are the briks. There are many varieties of the briks depending on the pastry or the stuffing. I suggest “Brik Danouni”; beef-stuffed turnovers, oven-baked or fried, are usually presented as starters or appetizers.
- Mix well the semolina, the flour and salt with the melted butter.
- Add warm water progressively and knead for 5 minutes.
- When the dough becomes smooth, cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, cook the ground beef with the chopped onions with a table spoon of vegetable oil then add the rest of the stuffing ingredients and keep aside.
- Roll out the dough and form circles.
- Garnish the circles with the stuffing and fold the edges.
- Place the briks on a parchment paper and brush with vegetable oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 30 minutes.
- Fried Brik Danouni in this link