A birthday cake, made of a molly cake, whipped cream, cherry puree and decorated with sugar paste.
The molly cake is an easy cake and recommended for layered desserts. It’s moist and light.
This cake was made to celebrate a birthday. You can decorate your cake as you wish. Be creative!
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with sugar and vanilla extract for 5 minutes until it doubles in volume.
- In another bowl, sift the flour with salt and baking powder.
- Mix the flour mixture with eggs mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the double cream until firm, but not too firm.
- Add the first mixture to the double cream, in 3 batches, and mix delicately with a spatula until well combined.
- Line your cake tin (preferably round of 18cm diameter) with baking paper (bottom and sides).
- Bake your molly cake in a preheated oven at 160°C for about 1h15.
- When the cake is ready, leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing the tin.
- When it’s completely cold, keep for 2 hours in the fridge before you cut it.
- You should cover the cake entirely with a cling film before putting it in the fridge.
- Put the pitted cherries in a small pan.
- Add sugar, almond extract and lemon juice.
- Bring to a simmer over medium to low heat.
- Stir occasionally until it becomes thick.
- Cut the round molly cake in half, vertically.
- Cut each half in two, to obtain 4 layers.
- Place the layers vertically then cut some of the cake to give it a car shape.
- Whip the double cream with icning sugar until firm.
- Draw the edges of each layer with whipped cream.
- Spread cherry puree between each layer.
- Cover the cake with the rest of the whipped cream.
- Kneed the white sugar paste then spread and cover the cake.
- Use the black sugar paste to decorate the car.
- Use some water to glue the decoration on the white sugar paste.