Coconut basboussa, easy to make and so delicious, an ideal dessert for Ramadan evenings or afternoon tea.
- Start by making the syrup. Put the sugar and water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- When it starts to boil, add the lemon juice then let 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Leave the syrup to completely cold down.
- Make the basboussa.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (semolina, coconut, sugar and salt).
- In a separate bowl, wisk the yogurt into the oil until well combined.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Butter a baking tin and place the mixture.
- Make sure the surface is well flattened.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut the unbaked basboussa and decorate with almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180° for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Pour the cold syrup over the basboussa then put it again in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until it turns gold brown and the syrup is completely absorbed.
- Leave to completely cool down before serving.
- You may as well decorate it with desiccated coconut.
- PS: The used cup measures 200ml.