This is a Tunisian traditional recipe: abraj, also called mbasses.
They are sort of semolina biscuits or shortbread, sweet, presented mainly with coffee. It can be also accompanied with honey or jam. A treat to enjoy during breakfast or tea time.
- Mix the dry ingredients together : semolina, sugar and salt.
- Add the oil and the melted butter and mix well with hands until the mixture is totally wet.
- Add the water gradually and mix. Don’t knead. The dough must hold when you spread it.
- Spread the dough on a clean surface.
- Cut lozenges or squares of 1 cm of height.
- Cook in a hot pan, on medium heat, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Enjoy your sweet semolina biscuits with a coffee, honey and/or jam.